This raw chocolate mousse, with added ginger and orange takes minutes to prepare, and is a healthful way to enjoy chocolate.
This is a twist on the standard avocado, banana, chocolate (ABC) mousse, but with added spices and flavour. Ginger is a great anti-inflammatory spice, orange makes this taste like a chocolate orange, and well cardamom is just there to prove I know that it is a trendy spice to go with chocolate (actually because they both have citrus notes).
Recipe adapted from The Rawtarian
- 2 ripe large avocado
- 2 medium banana
- 6 Tbs melted coconut oil
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Ginger juice (from 1 Tbs fresh grated ginger)
- 1 tsp orange extract
- ½ cup raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa)
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- Pinch salt
- [Optional 2 Tbs maple syrup, or more to taste]
- Place the avocado & banana flesh, coconut oil, orange juice (reserve zest till later) and ginger juice in the high-speed blender, and blend until a smooth mousse-like texture forms, and all the green of the avocado is dispersed. You may need to scrape down the sides with a spatula.
- Add in the cacao, cardamom and salt and blend again until fully incorporated. Add maple syrup to taste and transfer to individual serving glasses.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes until the coconut oil firms up the mousse. The texture should be like a decadent French pot au chocolat.
- Decorate with the orange zest and serve.